Food Insecurity has been real for many homebound, disabled, and elderly residents. Now due to the lingering effects of COVID it has become even more apparent of the services that are still needed by FISH of Greater New Haven-Food in Service to the Homebound.
In 2020 FISH took over an existing Pantry to Pantry grocery delivery program that was created in response to the overwhelming need for assistance created by the covid crisis. If we hadn’t added on this service we would not have known about all the homebound people that truly are in need of our help and the number has not decreased.
Donations from the community are vital to continuing serving over 1,200 individuals on a monthly basis.
West Haven Elks Lodge will be hosting:
Hunger Never Takes a Vacation It’s Real 365📅Food Drive to benefit FISH of Greater New Haven-Food In Service to the Homebound for the community of West Haven and the greater New Haven area.
When: Saturday, August 21, 2021
Where: West Haven Elks Lodge, 265 Main St., West Haven 06516
Donate any of the following food types:
- We are looking for minimally processed, nutritious, self-stable food, and especially love to receive nutrient-dense or whole grain food. Examples of things we accept are:
- Boxes of Cereal (Low Sugar) – Canned Vegetables (Low Sodium) – Canned Fruit – Shelf-Stable Milk (1%, 2% or Reduced Fat)
- Tuna – Soup (canned or dry) (Please No Ramen) – Rice (brown preferred, or other dry grains) – Crackers
- Beans (Black, Lentil, Kidney etc.) – Nuts (Almonds, Pecans, Peanuts, Walnuts etc, unsalted) – Oatmeal (Rolled Oats, Steel Cut, or Old Fashioned)
- Peanut Butter and Jelly (Reduced Sugar) – Instant potatoes – Instant milk – Fruit snacks = Macaroni & Cheese –
- Pasta (Whole Wheat, Sprouted-Grain, Quinoa, or Gluten Free) – Spaghetti Sauce – Fruit – Coffee (Instant or Ground)